............... e-mail means you need to install a program on your computer to read the e-mail.
- None of these
Reason — Application-based e-mail means you need to install a program on your computer to read the e-mail.
While sending the same e-mail to various people, the ............... option is used only when the list of recipients is not to be shared with others.
- None of these
Reason — Bcc (Blind Carbon Copy) allows us to send an email to multiple recipients without revealing the email addresses of the other recipients to each other.
............... folder of an e-mail account contains all the received e-mails.
Reason — Inbox folder of an e-mail account contains all the received e-mails.
............... is an IP based packet-switching integrated system with a high-speed data transmission rate of 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps.
Reason — 4G is an IP based packet-switching integrated system with a high-speed data transmission rate of 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps.
SMTP is an acronym for ............... .
- Simple Message Transfer Protocol
- Sample Message Transfer Protocol
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
- Simple Message Text Protocol
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
Reason — SMTP is an acronym for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
Which protocol helps to retrieve e-mails from a remote web server using a local client?
Reason — POP3 (Post office Protocol Version 3) helps to retrieve e-mails from a remote web server using a local client.
Which Internet service involves the risk of online money fraud?
Reason — E-shopping service involves the risk of online money fraud during the payment process.
............... is like a private chat room where both the users must be online at the same time.
- Web Chat
Reason — Instant Messaging (IM) is like a private chat room where both the users must be online at the same time.
The use of Internet or other electronic means to harass a person is termed as ............... .
- Cyber Space
- Cyber Policing
- Cyber Net
- Cyber Bullying
Reason — The use of Internet or other electronic means to harass a person is termed as Cyber Bullying.
Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are the examples of ............... .
- Chat Software
- Social Networking Sites
- Webmail Application
- Network Sharing
Social Networking Sites
Reason — Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are the examples of Social Networking Sites.
Which protocol is used to send messages from a mail client to a mail server?
Reason — SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) protocol is used to send messages from a mail client to a mail server.
What is the full form of POP?
- Post Office Program
- Pre Office Protocol
- Post Office Protocol
- Post Office Provider
Post Office Protocol
Reason — The full form of POP is Post Office Protocol.
An e-mail address consists of two parts- separated by the @ ('at') symbol, a User Name and a ............... .
- Domain ID
- Domain Name
Reason — An e-mail address consists of two parts- separated by the @ ('at') symbol, a User Name and a Domain Name.
Which term is used to describe a wide range of applications and processes, designed to provide guidance to students through electronic means?
Reason — E-learning is used to describe a wide range of applications and processes, designed to provide guidance to students through electronic means.
www.ebay.in is an example of ............... website.
Reason — www.ebay.in is an example of E-shopping website.
A/An ............... contains a discussion or message board where members can discuss topics of their choice.
- Social Networking
Reason — An E-group contains a discussion or message board where members can discuss topics of their choice.
Which Internet service is used for virtual meetings and involves the use of video cameras connected to two or more computers?
- Video Conferencing
Reason — Video Conferencing is used for virtual meetings and involves the use of video cameras connected to two or more computers.
Chatting on Internet is ............... .
- Talking face-to-face
- Online textual talk
- Talking on phone
- None of these
Online textual talk
Reason — Chatting on Internet is online textual talk.
Which of the following services are available on the World Wide Web?
(iv) Video conferencing
- (i) and (ii)
- (ii) and (iii)
- (iii) and (iv)
- (i) and (iv)
(i) and (iv)
Reason — E-mail and Video conferencing are available on the World Wide Web.
............... are unwanted bulk e-mails, or unwanted commercial e-mails.
Reason — Spam are unwanted bulk e-mails, or unwanted commercial e-mails.
IRC works on the ............... model.
IRC works on the Client/Server model.
............... is an electronic mailbox on a network where e-mails can be sent.
E-mail account is an electronic mailbox on a network where e-mails can be sent.
............... protocol is used for exchanging files between two or more computers on the Internet over TCP/IP protocols.
FTP (File Transfer) protocol is used for exchanging files between two or more computers on the Internet over TCP/IP protocols.
............... is an example of a Video Conferencing application.
Skype is an example of a Video Conferencing application.
............... is an Indian satellite based educational channel that offers informative programmes for a wide range of users.
GyanDarshan is an Indian satellite based educational channel that offers informative programmes for a wide range of users.
............... is an application of e-commerce that allows purchasing of goods from any part of the world.
E-shopping is an application of e-commerce that allows purchasing of goods from any part of the world.
The application that helps a user in finding information or documents from the Internet is called ............... .
The application that helps a user in finding information or documents from the Internet is called Search engine.
The integration of ICT in government processes, services, and communications is called ............... .
The integration of ICT in government processes, services, and communications is called E-governance.
The Internet service in which we can instantly send messages back and forth is called ............... .
The Internet service in which we can instantly send messages back and forth is called Chatting.
............... can be used to impart training to a large group of students at a time.
E-learning can be used to impart training to a large group of students at a time.
............... refers to making financial transactions using a mobile device like a smartphone, tablet, etc.
Mobile Banking refers to making financial transactions using a mobile device like a smartphone, tablet, etc.
E-mail is an expensive mode of communication.
Reason — E-mail is an inexpensive mode of communication.
An e-group provides only text based communication.
Reason — An e-group can provide both text-based and multimedia communication.
SMTP is capable of sending text messages only.
Reason — SMTP is capable of sending text messages only. It cannot transmit pictures, sounds, or movies.
You cannot send executable files or messages larger than 25 MB with an e-mail.
Reason — We cannot send executable files or messages larger than 25 MB with an e-mail.
Chat Rooms are actual rooms where a chat session takes place.
Reason — Chat Rooms are virtual rooms where a chat session takes place.
An e-mail address can contain spaces.
Reason — An e-mail address cannot contain spaces.
Google Hangouts is a popular instant messenger and is used for chatting.
Reason — Google Hangouts is a popular instant messaging platform that allows users to chat and communicate in real-time. It supports text messaging, voice calls, and video calls, making it a versatile tool for online communication.
Unsolicited bulk e-mails are called spams.
Reason — Spam comprises of unwanted e-mail which is sent to a large number of people with the purpose of advertising, spreading a virus, or flooding the Internet.
Telnet is a protocol that is used for accessing a remote computer.
Reason — Telnet is a protocol used for accessing and connecting to remote computers or devices over a network, typically the internet.
One can access e-group anytime and remain connected to the conversation thread.
Reason — In an e-group, members can access and participate in discussions at any time and remain connected to the conversation thread.
Name any application based e-mail service.
Which feature of a Social Networking Site allows its users to share and display their personal information?
Which part of an e-mail contains the name and address of the recipient?
Which networking architecture is followed by an FTP client?
Give an example of an e-learning software.
Does an e-group provide the facility to upload and download files?
Name the web service that supports real time communication.
Which option deletes the selected e-mails and sends it to the Trash folder?
Name any e-mail service provider that also provides the chat facility.
Name a service that delivers courses to a large number of students via the Internet.
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
Name the software that is used for conducting Internet Relay Chat on Windows.
Name the website used for booking a railway ticket.
Write the name of any one popular website that offers the facility of online shopping.
Write down one main advantage of e-shopping.
Convenience is one of the main advantages of e-shopping. With e-shopping, customers don't have to visit the shops. They can shop from anywhere by logging on the Internet and accessing the online shopping website. This saves them time and travel cost.
Give any two examples of popular search engines.
Google and Bing.
Match web services/URL given in column 'A' with corresponding web services/URL given in column 'B':
|Column A||Column B|
|Social Networking Site||https://www.amazon.in|
|Column A||Column B|
|Social Networking Site||https://www.facebook.com/|
When using a Search Engine, what does a minus sign used with keywords in the search box mean? Explain in brief with the help of an example.
When using a search engine, we use a minus (-) symbol to remove certain words or phrases from the query result.
For example, "What is good and -bad" will produce results, excluding the word "bad".
Name two different parts of an e-mail address with the help of an example.
Two parts of an e-mail address are:
- Domain name
E.g., in the email address email@example.com,
avni is the username and
gmail.com is the domain name with extension.
Even if you do not own a computer, how can you still send and receive e-mails using your own account?
Even if we do not own a computer, we can still send and receive e-mails using our own account by using smartphones, tablets, public computers or school/workplace computers. We can log in to our e-mail account by providing the username and password at our e-mail service provider page from any device with internet facility. Once we are logged in, we can easily access all the mail services provided by our e-mail account.
State one advantage of video conferencing over personal face-to-face business meetings.
One advantage of video conferencing over personal face-to-face business meetings is convenience. Video conferencing eliminates the need for travel, saving time and reducing expenses. Participants can join meetings from anywhere with an internet connection, making it more accessible and flexible for global collaboration and remote work.
How does FTP work?
FTP uses TCP/IP protocols to upload or download files to our computers from other sources. The source can be a web server or a remote host over the Internet. FTP transfer involves two computers —
- FTP Server — The FTP server is a computer that has an FTP address just like an http website. It is an important component in FTP architecture that initiates a client's request for an FTP connection from other computers and helps in transferring data back to client over the Internet.
- FTP Client — The FTP client works on client/server architecture. An FTP client initiates a request to the FTP server for connection using the FTP protocol. Once the connection is established, client software can be used to download, upload, and manage files and folders on a server.
Distinguish between downloading and uploading files.
|Downloading Files||Uploading Files|
|Downloading means transferring files from FTP server to our computer.||Uploading means transferring files from our computer to FTP server.|
|In downloading, data traverses from the FTP server to the user's device.||In uploading, data traverses from the user's device to the FTP server.|
|To download a file, we copy it from FTP server's folder and paste it into our computer's folder.||To upload a file, we copy it from our computer's folder and paste it into the FTP server's folder.|
When using a Search Engine to search, when would you use quotation marks around search terms?
Quotation marks around search terms are used to get the exact results. For example, searching for "climate change" will produce search results containing the phrase climate change. Without quotation marks will also produce results containing just the word climate or the word change.
Write the web extensions given to the sites of the following types of organisations:
The web extensions are:
a. Military — .mil
b. Government — .gov
How can video conferencing be helpful to teachers? Write one point.
Video conferencing can be helpful to teachers by facilitating remote or online teaching. It allows educators to conduct classes, engage with students, and provide instruction even when physical presence is not possible. This is especially valuable during situations like remote learning, allowing teachers to maintain continuity in education.
What is a web service? Discuss the various web services in brief.
A web service is a software system or component that enables applications to communicate and exchange data over the Internet. Internet provides us a host of web services such as:
- E-mail — E-mail allows users to send and receive written messages electronically. It is a cost-effective and eco-friendly form of communication.
- Chat — Chat is an online textual conversation happening in realtime. In chatting, the users can instantly send messages back and forth to each other, without caring about any syntax. Chatting can take place via websites in areas known as chat rooms.
- Video Conferencing — Video Conferencing is a two-way videophone conversation among multiple participants. It allows multiple people, sitting at geographically different locations, to communicate with each other by exchanging video and audio at the same time.
- E-learning — Electronic Learning refers to a wide range of applications and processes, designed to provide guidance and/or deliver information to students, faculties, or employees of the companies through electronic means.
- E-banking — E-banking stands for electronic banking. It is the way of performing bank transactions using the Internet. A customer can do plenty of things using E-banking such as he can check the amount in his account, make a FD, transfer the money, apply for loans, etc.
- E-shopping — E-shopping refers to buying products and services over the Internet. Online sellers describe their products and services through text, photos, and multimedia files. Consumers can purchase a vast variety of products and services from any part of the world.
- E-reservation — E-reservation means making a reservation or appointment for a service via the Internet.
- E-governance — E-governance stands for Electronic Governance. It refers to the integration of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in government processes, services, and communications.
- E-group — An e-group is a virtual meeting place for individuals who share the common interests. It provides a platform for people to share information on topics of their interests, messages, and photo albums.
- Social networking — A Social Networking Site is an online platform that focuses on facilitating the building of social networks or social relations among people who, for example, share interests, activities, backgrounds, or real-life connections.
What do you understand by mobile technology? Explain 3G and 4G.
Mobile technology is a technology which is mainly used for communication in mobile devices. It provides a range of services like voice calling, sending text messages, GPS navigation, sending e-mails, running various applications, conducting a business meeting or chatting in a virtual form without any hassle, and as a gaming console.
3G — 3G is the third generation of wireless mobile technology which made web browsing an enjoyable experience on mobile devices. 3G is an upgrade of 2G and 2.5G networks, with faster Internet speed. 3G has made the streaming of audio and video files possible without any interruption. It provides a data transmission rate up to 2 Mbps.
4G — 4G refers to the fourth generation of wireless communications. It is an IP based packet-switching integrated system with a high-speed data transmission rate of 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps. Nowadays, 4G technology is widely used with other communication technologies like Broadcast and Satellite communication. It provides expanded multimedia services at any time and anywhere as per a user's requirement with high security and high speed.
Write the features of e-governance.
The features of e-governance are as follows:
- Accessibility — E-governance offers citizens easy online access to government services and information.
- Transparency — It promotes openness by providing real-time access to government data, reducing corruption.
- Efficiency — Administrative processes are streamlined, cutting paperwork and costs.
- Citizen Engagement — E-governance fosters two-way communication, allowing feedback and collaboration.
- Cost-effectiveness — It reduces operational expenses for both government and citizens.
- Data Security — Ensures safe handling of sensitive information.
- 24/7 Availability — Online services are accessible anytime, anywhere for citizen convenience.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of E-shopping.
The advantages of E-shopping are:
- Convenience — With e-shopping, customers don't have to visit the shops. They can shop from anywhere by logging on the Internet and accessing the online shopping website. This saves them time and travel cost.
- Information and Reviews — Online stores offer product reviews and helpful information such as usage instructions, manufacturer specifications, and safety guidelines that is helpful to the customers.
- Price and Selection — Online stores offer discounts with cheap deals and better prices enabled by direct access to manufacturers and a vast global product selection.
- Compulsive Shopping — Unlike traditional shopping, online shopping allows us to buy what we truly need without indulging into compulsive shopping due to the pressure tactics and selling skills of the shopkeepers.
The disadvantages of E-shopping are:
- Online shopping lacks the personal touch and the ability to physically experience products such as clothing and cosmetics.
- Online security is a concern, as some websites may not encrypt credit card data, potentially exposing our confidential data to hackers.
- Only a few sites offer free shipping of products. Hence, the shipping cost acts as a big discouragement for online shoppers.
- A major problem in e-shopping is the hassle in returning the product and follow up on the refund, or the exchange of items.
- There is a huge risk of online fraud. Some sites pretend to be selling products at a meagre price, and the customers often receive a low quality or refurbished item for that price.
- At times, online sites can unexpectedly close after payment, leaving customers without the items they've purchased.
Discuss the basic requirements for connecting to an FTP server.
The basic requirements for connecting to an FTP server are:
- FTP Client Software — We must have FTP client software installed on our computer. Popular options include FileZilla, WinSCP, and Cyberduck.
- Server Address — We need to know the FTP server's address, which can be either a domain name or an IP address.
- Username and Password — We must have a valid username and password to access the FTP server. This is typically provided by the server administrator or hosting provider.
- FTP Protocol — We must determine whether we're using standard FTP (insecure) or SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol, secure).
- Permissions and Access Rights — We must have the necessary permissions and access rights to perform the desired operations on the server, such as uploading or downloading the files.
Discuss briefly a few disadvantages of video conferencing.
The disadvantages of video conferencing are:
- A very reliable and fast connection is needed all the time to conduct video conferencing.
- Even with a fast connection, there might be a slight delay between responses that can disrupt the natural flow of conversation.
- The major disadvantage is the technical difficulty associated with it, that is software, hardware, or network failure. It may disrupt the flow of the meeting.
- High quality dedicated video conferencing systems are expensive to buy.
- People could be in different time zones around the world. The chances are that some people may have to stay back during odd hours in the night to attend the meeting.
How does an SSH protocol protect data?
The SSH (Secure Socket Shell) protocol protects data in the following ways:
- Before transferring data between the client and the host computer, the SSH calls upon the SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) to authenticate both the server and the client machine.
- Once the authentication process gets over, the SFTP protocol works on to set a secure channel between the client and the host computer by establishing a secure connection and then only the data transmission is initiated.
- SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) protects the integrity of the data using encryption and cryptographic hash function techniques.
What do you mean by the term PC banking?
PC banking is a type of banking where a person uses a personal computer to access banking information. It requires a secure Internet connection and a Personal Financial Management software, such as Quicken®, Microsoft Money®, etc.
With PC banking, we can safely perform our bank transactions like bill payments, fund transfers, check statements, etc., from our home computer.
Parul has been given a table which contains a list of e-mail addresses. She has been asked to find all the valid e-mail addresses in the list and put a tick mark in front of them. Help her in finishing the given assignment.
The common rules for a valid email address are as follows:
- Format: An email address must have a specific format:
firstname.lastname@example.org. The "@" symbol separates the username (before the "@" symbol) and the domain (after the "@" symbol).
- Username Rules:
- Must contain only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), dots (.), hyphens (-), and underscores (_).
- Cannot start or end with a dot.
- Cannot have consecutive dots, hyphens, or underscores (e.g., "..", "--", "__").
- Usernames are not case-sensitive.
- Domain Rules:
- Must contain at least one period (.), typically separating the domain name from the domain extension.
- The domain name can contain letters, numbers, hyphens, and dots. It cannot start or end with a hyphen or dot.
Hence, the valid email addresses are:
|tanmay(45)@webmail.ac.in||Invalid as parenthesis not allowed in username.|
|www.jay-singh.com||Invalid as not in |
|rini@email@example.com||Invalid as not in |
Diya is a very social person and wants to connect with all her friends on the Internet. She wants to join an online community where she can have her own profile, invite her friends to join, share photos, videos, etc.
- Which Internet service is Diya interested in?
- Suggest an example of such a service so that she could join it.
- Also discuss its merits and demerits.
- Diya is interested in a social networking service on the Internet.
- Diya can join Facebook that offers all these social networking features that she is looking for.
- Merits of social networking are as follows:
- Easier to Connect — It is easier to connect with friends, families, classmates, customers, and clients in today's fast-paced life.
- Create New Connections — We can seek out groups that are focused towards special interests and hobbies, and connect with those that share the same interests as ours.
- Free Business Promotions — Companies and artists can reach a diverse and large number of people using social media sites. This allows them to promote and market themselves and their products on a large platform.
- Aids in Criminal Cases — Social networking services are increasingly being used in investigations of criminal cases for evidence in the form of photographs, status updates, people's location at a particular time and conversations between the persons involved.
- Spreads Information Incredibly Fast — Social networking sites provide a medium through which news and other important information can spread like a virus.
Demerits of social networking are as follows:
- Cyber Bullying — Young kids publicly harass one another by sending or posting abusive text messages, e-mails or pictures, which are visible to the entire cyber world.
- Less Real Life Interaction — People prefer to meet their friends and relations via social networking sites, resulting in a lack of personal interaction.
- Addiction — People are becoming more addicted to the usage of social networking services, which results in the wastage of their valuable time.
- Misleading Information — Social networking sites can be a quick way for people to learn about breaking news, but it is not always accurate.
- Misuse of Information — Social networking sites do not provide enough security to the personal data of a user. Strangers with bad intentions cleverly steal and misuse this information.
- Fake Profiles — Social networking sites have a massive number of users with fake identities, who may exploit other people and mislead them.
- Peer Pressure — Some people tend to post false information about themselves, falling prey to peer pressure.
Akhil works in a big organisation. He has to frequently access remote computers that are located at other branches in different cities. Which protocol would he be using for this purpose?
Arushi wants to organise an expert lecture for her students on the topic 'Web Services'. However, due to bad weather conditions, the guest lecturer could not come down to her institute. Suggest the technology that can be used at the last moment to organise a virtual lecture for the children.
Video conferencing can be used to organise a virtual lecture for the children.
Identify domain name(s) and URL(s) from the following list:
|Domain / URL||Reason|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||E-mail address||It consists of username and domain name separated by '@' symbol.|
|doYogaEveryday.com||Domain name||It contains a domain name (doYogaEveryday) and extension (.com)|
|www.doYogaEveryday.com/old/index.html||URL||It contains the scheme, host, domain and path.|
|www.PerformingArts_schools.org/backlink.htm||URL||It contains the scheme, host, domain and path.|
|192.168.0.1||IP address||It is an IP address|
|http://cbse.nic.in||URL||It contains the scheme, host, domain and path.|