Fill in the blanks
The head of the Municipality is known as Chairperson.
A Municipality is elected for five years.
For municipal elections the city is divided into wards.
Aldermen are the eminent citizens elected as members of Municipalities.
Toll tax are collected for the use of roads and bridges.
Complete the following
Complete the following to differentiate between Municipal Corporation and Municipality.
|Head||The head of the corporation is known as Mayor.||The head of a Municipality is known as Chairperson.|
|Population Size||Big cities with a huge population of ten lakh and above have Municipal Corporation.||A Municipal Council is set up for smaller towns.|
|Chief Executive||The Municipal Commissioner is the chief executive head of the Municipal Corporation.||The state government appoints a Commissioner who looks after the general administration of the Municipality.|
|Term||Municipal Corporation is elected for a period of five years.||Municipality is elected for a period of five years.|
Answer the following questions
What is a metropolitan city? Name four metropolitan cities of India.
The word metropolis means a 'mother city'. The cities having a population of ten lakh or more and comprising one or more districts are known as Metropolitan cities.
Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata are important metropolitan cities of India.
How is a Municipal Corporation composed? Who are its members?
The composition of a Municipal Corporation is as follows:
- The head of a Municipal Corporation is called the Mayor or Mahapaur. He is elected by the members of the Municipal Corporation, called Municipal Councillors.
- Besides the Mayor, a Deputy Mayor is elected.
- The members or Councillors are elected directly by the people.
- The General Council of the Corporation comprising the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Councillors elect eminent persons of the city as Aldermen.
- The day-to-day work of the corporation is looked after by various committees headed by the Chairman.
- Every Municipal Corporation has a Chief Executive Officer or Commissioner appointed by the State government. His main function is to implement the decisions of the Municipal Corporation.
- Seats are also reserved for women, scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
How is the Chairperson of a Municipality elected?
All the adults of each ward elect one representative, called the Councillor. These councillors elect a Chairperson from among themselves.
Who are the Aldermen?
The elected representatives of Municipal Corporation and Municipalities elect some experienced and eminent citizens who are known as Aldermen.
Mention five functions of urban local bodies.
The five functions of urban local bodies are as follows:
- To make provisions for electricity, water and sewage disposal.
- To provide health services through hospitals, dispensaries and family welfare centres.
- To take measures to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.
- To maintain records of births and deaths.
- To maintain cremation and burial grounds.
Mention five sources of income of the urban local bodies.
Five sources of income of the urban local bodies are as follows:
- Tax on property from house owners.
- Tax on business establishments like shops and markets.
- Tax on vehicles, cars, motorcycles or carriages.
- Water tax from users of municipal water supply.
- Toll tax on certain roads and bridges.
Study the picture and answer the following questions:
(a) What is being done in the picture?
(b) How can it affect your health?
(c) Who is responsible to take measures to prevent the spread of communicable diseases?
(a) The given picture shows the scenario of a bus stand where a fruit vendor is selling cut fruits in the open.
(b) The cut fruits attract flies and other insects which can contaminate the fruits. When these fruits are eaten by people, it can cause various kinds of health issues such as fever, nausea, muscle aches, diarrhoea, etc.
(c) The Municipal Corporations and Municipalities are responsible to take measures to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.