Answer the following questions
State the advantages of carpooling
The advantages of carpooling are:
- Carpooling reduces each person’s costs, tolls and stress of driving.
- Carpooling is more environment friendly and sustainable way to travel as sharing journeys reduces carbon emissions, traffic congestion on roads and the need for parking spaces.
Name the alternative modes of transport. In what way does it help to reduce air pollution?
Use of public transport rather than private vehicles, offers alternative modes of transport.
It help to reduce air pollution in as public transport including trains, trams and buses, can relieve traffic congestion and reduce air pollution from road transport. The use of public transport must be encouraged if a sustainable transport policy is to be developed.
How are smoking zones useful in prevention of air pollution?
Smoking zones is designated area in which smoking is permitted. It helps to keep the work place and public place air clean and protects people from effects of passive smoking.
Explain the term organic farming. How does organic farming help in saving the soil quality?
Organic farming is a farming method that involves growing and nurturing crops without the use of synthetic based fertilizers and pesticides. This process involves the use of biological materials, avoiding synthetic substances to maintain soil fertility and ecological balance thereby minimising pollution and wastage.
Organic farming help in saving the soil quality in following ways:
- Natural balance of soil is maintained. Chemical fertilizers change the balance of soil.
- Soil texture is improved with use of FYM and compost.
State any three characteristic features of organic farming.
Three characteristic features of organic farming are:
- Indirect provision of crop nutrients using soil micro-organisms.
- Nitrogen fixation in soils using legumes.
- Weed and pest control based on crop rotation, biological diversity, natural predators and organic manures.
Choose the correct option
Refer to the image & identify the type of preventive measure taken to reduce pollution.
- Public Transport
- Jeep pooling
- Car pooling
- None of the above
Which of the following preventive measures is depicted by the symbol?
- No parking zone
- No smoking zone
- No plastic zone
- No horn zone
No smoking zone
NEERI stands for
- National Environmental Engineering Research Institute.
- National Ecological Environmental Research institute.
- Natural Environmental Ecological Research Institute.
- Nation's Environmental Economical Research Institute.
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute.
Which of the following statements related to organic farming is not correct?
- It involves the fixation of nitrogen through the use of legumes.
- It involves the use of chemical fertilizer.
- It involves crop rotation
- It relies on ecologically balanced agricultural principles.
It involves the use of chemical fertilizer.
The following symbol is used in aircraft for
- No talking
- No movement
- No smoking
- No sleeping
Give reasons for the following
Car pooling is often encouraged by the authorities.
Carpooling is more environment friendly and sustainable way to travel as sharing journeys reduces carbon emissions, traffic congestion on roads and the need for parking spaces. Hence, authorities often encourage car pooling especially during period of high pollution or high fuel prices.
The use of renewable energy resources is of prime importance.
Renewable energy resources are environment friendly, do not cause pollution, do not contribute to global warming and are available in infinite supply. Hence their use is of prime importance for our future sustainable living.