State whether the following statements are True/False
It is advised to view age appropriate web sites.
The people who are involved in the cyber crime are called 'Hackers'.
Always share your password among your friends.
It is advised to comment on any social networking site.
You can always open mail from unknown source.
Don't try to download unknown software and e-mail attachments that may contain viruses.
You can always use strong antivirus softwares in your computer system.
Cyber bullying shows rude behaviour with the parents.
Provide strong password to a system, so that it cannot be cracked so easily.
Firewall is defined as a network security device that allows or rejects network access between the Internet and a private network.
Fill in the blanks
Computer ethics is a set of moral values, which regulates the use of computers.
The process of making duplicate copy of the original software illegally is known as software piracy.
Unwanted e-mails are called spam.
A program which may corrupt the files/documents in your computer is known as virus.
Intellectual property means 'Ownership of Ideas', created by using skills and mental ability of the person.
Cyber bullying means the aggressive behaviour shown through text messages, chatting or video communication.
It is advised to have antivirus software to protect system from viruses.
Phishing is a new kind of cybercrime and method of committing online financial fraud.
Firewall defined as a network security device that allows or rejects network access between an untrusted zone and a trusted zone.
Password can be used to protect any document on the Internet.
Write short notes on
When we purchase a software, we become a licensed user and have a right to use the software on a single computer. But we cannot put copies on other machines or pass the software among our colleagues.
Piracy refers to illegal distribution. The process of making copies of software without buying the appropriate license or copyright is known as software piracy.
When we open our mailbox, we find a number of unwanted mails have come into our inbox from different parts of the world organizations. Sometimes, the titles of these messages are very fascinating and compel us to read the mails. These unwanted messages of mailbox are called spam.
Spam is an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Spams not only waste the time of the user but also occupy memory space of the system. Spams may also contain viruses.
In the cyber-world, phishing is a form of illegal act where fraudulently, sensitive information is acquired like passwords, debit or credit card details by a person posing as a trustworthy or a business communication.
Hacking can be defined as unauthorized use of computer and network resources. Unfortunately these skills are applied in illegal activities.
Hacking is a technique by which some computer experts can access the data from confidential areas of the system.
The term bullying is unwanted or aggressive behaviour shown by a person. Cyber bullying is the agressive behaviour shown through text messages, chatting or video communication. The main source of cyber bullying can be seen on the social networking sites.
If we create or develop something on the Internet, then we are the absolute owner of our creation. It comes under intellectual property right. In case, someone uses our creation and produces as his own creation then it is the violation of copyright act.
An act of copying other's creation and producing as own creation in same form or other is known as plagiarism.
Firewall is defined as a network security device that allows or rejects network access between an untrusted zone and a trusted zone. It acts as a two way traffic system and protects the computer system as well.
Whenever a message is received, it is passed through Firewall for authentication. If it is from an authorised source then allowed entering your computer system otherwise, blocked.
Internet is a very useful tool for getting information and sharing messages. Sometimes, it may happen that we leave information while accessing a site or passing messages through e-mail. We may also leave our account logged-in unknowingly. Leaving used site or mail ID online is said to be digital footprint.
Digital footprint is trailing information online about accessing a site or mail ID left unclosed or undeleted.
Long Answer Questions
What do you understand by Ethics? Mention at least five ethical values related to computers.
Ethics is a set of moral principles that govern the behaviour of a group or individual. Computer ethics regulate the use of computers.
Five ethical values related to computers are as follows:
- While accessing Internet, always work in a healthy environment so that the objective is fulfilled.
- Do not copy or use proprietary software for which you have not paid.
- Do not try to steal the secret information of any other computer.
- You must protect your document by using password and note it in a diary in case you forget it.
- If you are working on Internet, you should not browse any unwanted website or open any type of mails of others by any means.
What are the advantages of using Internet? Explain.
The advantages of using Internet are as follows:
- Internet can be used for searching any information through various search engines.
- The messages can be sent and received through e-mail on internet.
- It plays a significant role in research and development work.
- It also allows video conversation with the relatives or friends through Skype or Facebook.
- It promotes 24 X 7 online shopping.
- It keeps a track of share and stock marketing.
- Online banking can be used to purchase railway, flight or movie tickets.
Explain the various effect of cyber bullying.
The various effects of cyber bullying are as follows:
- Behaving rudely with the parents.
- Bunking classes during school periods.
- It affects deterioration in academic performance.
- It promotes unnecessary quarrelling with friends and classmates.
- It also affects in health deterioration.
- It lessens one's self confidence.
What do you understand by Intellectual Property Rights? Explain.
Intellectual property means 'Ownership of Ideas' which is created by using skills and mental ability of the person. The softwares originally developed by the persons become the intellectual property of the developers.
Intellectual property rights are the rights given to persons over the creations of their minds. They usually give the creator an exclusive right over the use of his/her creation for a certain period of time. These rights can be exercised in the form of software patents, software copyright or trademark.
Enlist some parental assistance for minors while accessing Internet.
Some parental assistance for minors while accessing Internet are as follows:
- By viewing age appropriate web sites.
- By using strong password that cannot be cracked so easily.
- By not sharing password with any person.
- On frequent changing password.
- Responding to known email messages or attachments only.
- By protecting computer with antivirus software. The antivirus must be latest such as 'Quick Heal' or 'Firewall' that recognizes most of the viruses.
What are the different ways to stop Spam?
The different ways to stop Spam are as follows:
- Installing good antivirus software in our computer system.
- Avoid reading unwanted email messages and delete them to keep inbox empty
What precaution will you take while using Internet? Explain.
Precautions that we should take while using Internet are as follows:
- Don't share your personal information like name, age, address, account number etc.
- Don't create a password based on your personal information like last name, telephone number etc.
- Don't share your password with anyone although he is your close friend.
- Don't access irrelevant sites, open mails from unknown sources and comment anyone on social networking site.
- Don't try to download unknown software and e-mail attachments that may contain viruses.
- Use strong antivirus softwares for your computer.
- Don't get tempted towards unknown advertisement. You may be trapped for harassment.
- Don't send any kind of message bullying your friend or any unknown person over social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp.
How will you avoid Software Piracy? Explain.
Some guidelines to avoid software piracy are as follows:
- Always buy your software from a reputed organization.
- Make sure that your software comes with a licence agreement, original disk and authentic packaging with copyright.
- Avoid buying of multiple software titles from different publishers on a single disk.
- If the seller provides the direction to obtain a serial number, it indicates that the software is not authentic.