Rearrange the letters to get the names of some cities of India which have population of one million and above. Then use an atlas to find out the states in which these cities are located.
- RTUSA: ...............
- HAANBDD: ...............
- LAHDALABA: ...............
- DIAULAHN: ...............
- YAWJVDAIA: ...............
- EBCOATIMOR : ...............
- RTUSA: SURAT (Gujrat)
- HAANBDD: DHANBAD (Jharkhand)
- LAHDALABA: ALLAHABAD (Uttar Pradesh)
- DIAULAHN: LUDHIYANA (Punjab)
- YAWJVDAIA: VIJAYWADA (Andhra Pradesh)
- EBCOATIMOR : COIMBATORE (Tamil Nadu)
Quick Quiz 1
What are the two criteria used to define an urban settlement?
The two criteria used to define an urban settlement are:
- Size of its population
Bern developed as an urban centre during the Industrial Revolution. True or False?
............... and ............... were the two megacities in 1950.
New york and London were the two megacities in 1950.
Mention two negative impacts of Urbanization.
Two negative impacts of Urbanization are:
- Urbanization results in higher rate of migration to cities. This causes overpopulation which in turn puts pressure on existing infrastructure.
- The cost of living in urban areas is higher than that in the rural areas.
A smaller city that develops near a large city is called a (smart/satellite) city.
Fill in the blanks
Large-scale urbanization in Europe in the eighteenth century was attributed to ............... Revolution.
Large-scale urbanization in Europe in the eighteenth century was attributed to Industrial Revolution.
The high cost of living in urban areas is a ............... impact of urbanization.
The high cost of living in urban areas is a negative impact of urbanization.
Rapid transit system usually connects the main city with the ............... city.
Rapid transit system usually connects the main city with the satellite city.
ICT is widely used in a ............... city.
ICT is widely used in a smart city.
............... is a proposed smart city of India.
Pune is a proposed smart city of India.
Write one-word answer
The word used for towns and cities ...............
The largest city in the world ...............
The low-income colonies found in urban areas ...............
Navi Mumbai is a satellite city of this city.
The Smart Cities Mission is initiated in this country.
Give reasons for the following
People migrated from villages to settle in urban centres during the Industrial Revolution.
The Industrial Revolution led to the growth and development of industries in the urban centres. This in turn created employment opportunities in these urban centres. Thus people migrated from villages to settle in urban centres during the Industrial Revolution.
The satellite cities are developed near large cities.
The satellite cities are developed near large cities in order to decongest the overpopulated and over-urbanized main city. Due to uncontrolled growth, the public utility services and other facilities in the large cities become inadequate and inefficient. Thus, the satellite cities supplement the expansion of the larger/main cities.
Answer these questions
The process of change from rural to urban or growth of small urban settlements into big cities within a country is called urbanization.
What led to the growth of urban centres in Europe during the medieval period?
During the medieval period, there was an increase in overseas trade among the European countries. Initially, most of these urban centres were local market towns which gradually developed into cities. This led to the growth of urban centres in Europe during the medieval period.
Name two megacities of the world.
Two megacities of the world are:
- New york
Mention three positive impacts of urbanization.
Three positive impacts of urbanization are:
- It provides better facilities for education, medical services and entertainment.
- The urban areas have well-developed and efficient means of transport and communication.
- The urban areas provide better living conditions with respect to water supply, electricity, sanitation and housing.
Why do slums develop in urban areas?
Poor, unskilled people who migrate from villages and do not find good jobs in cities cannot afford proper housing facilities. Thus, they settle down in overcrowded, low-income colonies with poor housing and living conditions. Thus, the slum areas develop in urban areas.
Name two satellites cities of Delhi.
Two satellites cities of Delhi are:
Mention three characteristics of satellite cities.
Three characteristics of satellite cities are:
- The satellite cities are physically separated from the main cities either by a rural territory, a river or a canal.
- The have their own central business districts which are generally surrounded by planned neighbourhoods.
Mention two uses of ICT in a smart city?
Two uses of ICT in a smart city are:
- To enhance quality and performance of urban services.
- To improve contact between people and the government.
Mention three characteristics of a smart city.
Three characteristics of a smart city are:
- It provides housing for all.
- Reduce congestion, environmental pollution and resource depletion.
- Boosts local economy.
Name the ministry responsible for the implementation of the Smart Cities Mission.
The Ministry of Urban Development is responsible for the implementation of the Smart Cities Mission.